Sunday, April 25, 2010

I Heart Omelettes

Tiffany has some yummy omelette tips to share today. The coincidental thing?? I was reading Julie and Julia when I got an e-mail from Tiffany that she had a new Lickable Spoon post ready to go. Guess what chapter I was in the middle of reading? Omelettes!
~Lyndsay

***********

I have some fabulous heart-shaped molds that I thought: why not try this with an omelette? They were originally intended for pancakes, but a little innovation here and there keeps things interesting.



Also, am I the only person in the world that when I pour the omelette in the hot pan, I have very little control over what happens next? And flipping the sides over the middle is sort of, well, tricky, messy, and exasperating?



Here is the solution! I'm sorry to say that I have no idea where these heart molds came from. My mom got them. If anyone is dying to know, I can ask her. You could also try cookie cutters, or biscuit tins.




The trick is to pour the egg in slowly. If a little egg trickles out the sides of the mold, you can trim before serving. Add what topping you like to the omelette, broil it quickly, and you have a delicious omelette with flourish.


Brie cheese intimidated me somewhat until recently. But the smooth, silky texture and the vibrant taste make it a delightful way to start the morning.



You will have basil breath all day. Not a bad thing.


Omelette with Brie, Bacon, Basil and Shallots

Elements

4 oz Brie cheese
3 T fresh basil
1 shallot
4 slices bacon
2 eggs
2 dashes milk
butter
white pepper, kosher salt


Method

Cook bacon over medium heat. Cube the cheese, slice the shallots, and finely chop basil. When bacon is fully cooked, drain on paper towels. Cook shallots in bacon drippings until tender. Remove shallots and drain on paper towel with bacon. Crumble bacon finely.
Reduce heat to medium low. Whisk egg with milk. Season with salt and pepper. Add a little butter to pan, and place heart mold in pan. Slowly add egg to pan, while whisking with fork. Add shallots, bacon, Brie, and basil on top of the egg mixture. Allow omelette to cook over low heat until mostly set. Transfer omelette to an oven-safe dish.
Place omelette under broiler until Brie is bubbly and light brown. Garnish with fresh basil.



Suggested accompaniments: hot cocoa, fresh fruit, and croissants with preserves.








It seems to me that our three basic needs, for food and security and love, are so entwined that we cannot think of one without the other.

~M.F.K Fisher

2 comments:

  1. Oh that sounds sooooo good. I'm kinda scared to make an omelet (I'm a horrible scrambled egg maker, too), but maybe now I'll try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give it a whirl! It doesn't have to be painful.

    ReplyDelete